The following information explains the accessibility of vital records, specifically birth, death and marriage records:
- Birth Records more than 100 years old :
- Any person
- Birth Records less than 100 years old:
- Person who is the subject of the birth certificate
- Parent or Guardian or Grandparent, if a minor
- Spouse or Children; Grandchildren will be able to obtain a certified copy of their grandparent's birth certificate.
- Chief Elected Official of Municipality or Agent
- Local Health Director
- Title Examiners
- Members of Incorporated Genealogical Societies or Societies Authorized to Conduct Business in Connecticut
- Persons Authorized by Court Order
- State or Federal Agency Authorized by State Commissioner of Public Health
- Marriage Records:
- Any person, documents subject to the Freedom of Information Act
- Copies of marriage certificates that include the spouse’s social security numbers will only be issued to the parties to the marriage.
- Death Records:
- If you need a copy of the death certificate with the social security number on the certificate, you will need to provide proof of identity and proof of the relationship that allows you to obtain the death certificate with the social security number.
Documentation Required for a copy of or access to Birth Certificates
- Anyone requesting a copy of, either in person or by mail, or access to or permission to examine the original or any copy of the birth certificate or birth registrar shall provide documentation proving that such person is entitled to a copy of or access to birth certificates.
- The person whose birth is recorded, if over eighteen (18) years of age, or that person's guardian if that person is a minor shall submit a photographic identification. Should a photographic identification be unavailable, originals or photocopies of two (2) of the following documents shall be substituted for it:
- Social security card
- Written verification of identity from employer
- Automobile registration
- Copy of utility bill showing name and address
- Checking account deposit slip stating name and address
- Voter registration card
Cash or check are the only acceptable forms of payment.
Credit cards are not accepted.