frequently asked questions


Q: What is Prospect’s current mill rate?

A: Prospect’s current mill rate for the October 1, 2018 Grand List Year is 30.95.

Q: When are tax bills mailed?

A: The tax bills that are due in July are generally mailed by the last week in June. The Town Budget must be passed in order for a mill rate to be set and tax amounts calculated. Following that process the bills must be printed and mailed. Supplemental motor vehicle tax bills are mailed in December and are due in January.

Q: Will I get a tax bill in January for the 2nd half of real estate taxes?

A: No. Real estate tax bills are mailed in late June. The first installment is due July 1st and the second installment is due January 1st. There is a 30 day grace period to pay your bills. Reminder notices are sent the third week of January for real estate tax bills to those people who have not paid their second installment.

Q: Can I mail my tax payment?

A: Yes, we encourage you to mail your payments. They should be mailed to the Tax Collector of Prospect, 36 Center Street, Prospect, CT 06712. Please do not send cash payments in the mail. Payments mailed must have an official postmark dated no later than the last day to pay without a penalty. [State Statute 12-146]

Q: How do I obtain a receipt if I mail in my tax payment?

A: Send a self addressed stamped envelope along with the entire bill with your payment and we will mail you a receipt. You can also print a copy of your payment from the Town of Prospect's Online Bill Payment page.

Q: Can I combine my real estate, personal property and motor vehicle tax payments on one check?

A: Yes, one check can be written for all taxes due. Please recheck your addition before writing your check to ensure a proper payment.

Q: Do you accept online payments?

A: Yes. This service is available 7 days a week 24 hours a day. Payments made by checking account, debit or credit card may take three to five days before being credited to your account. Partial payments are NOT accepted online.

The Fees are as follows:
ACH and Debit card payments - $3.95
Credit Card payments -3% of total bill (Mastercard, Visa, Discovercard)

You will have the opportunity to confirm your total due prior to submitting payment.

Q: How do I make an online payment

A: Go to website.

- Select " Pay Your Taxes Online"
-Click on: For the Tax Bill Inquiry/Online Payment System, CLICK HERE
-Put in your Last Name and 1st initial (no punctuation)(Example: smith j)
-Click "Search" -Select the icon pertaining to what you would like to do at this point.
-If you are paying on an account click on the Shopping Cart next to the bill. NOTE: You must pay the oldest bills due first.
-You will have the option to add more bills to your shopping cart one at a time.
-Once all bills are in your shopping cart select checkout located at the upper left corner of the screen.
-You have the option to remove any bills from the cart.
-Click Pay Tax Bills Now. You will have the option to enroll in the online banking system or choose to make a one time payment. If you choose to enroll you need to create a username and password and provide security questions and answers for your profile.
-From this point, follow the instructions as to how you wish to make payment, either by ACH, Debit or Credit card. (Convenience Fees: ACH and Debit card payment $3.95. Credit Card payments with Mastercard, Visa or Discovercard- 3% of the total bill) You will have the option to opt out of making your payment prior to the last step which would be "Submit Payment".

Q: How do I obtain a DMV Tax Release for registering?

A: If you owe delinquent motor vehicle taxes you must pay ALL PRIOR MOTOR VEHICLE TAXES AND ALL CURRENT MOTOR VEHICLE TAXES if a DMV RELEASE is needed to register any vehicle. There are no exceptions! Also, if paying by check, a DMV release will not be issued for 7-10 business days.

Online payments take 7-10 business days from the date we receive the payment file to clear DMV.

Q: If there are two taxpayer names on a motor vehicle tax bill, are both taxpayers required to have all their taxes paid in order to receive a release for DMV?

A: Yes. All taxes must be paid in full to obtain a Release for DMV. If you need a release for DMV the same day you paid your taxes, they must be paid in cash or cashier's check.

Q: What should I do if I receive a tax bill for a vehicle that I no longer own?

A: If you transferred the plates from one vehicle to another, you should pay the tax bill for the old vehicle in July. The following January you will receive a supplemental bill for the vehicle you currently own. The supplemental bill will have a credit for the old vehicle from the point in time that the plates were transferred.

If you turned the plates into the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will need to provide the Assessor’s Office with two forms of proof that you no longer own that vehicle. One form of proof must be the “Returned Plate Receipt” from DMV. Please contact the Assessor’s office for more detailed information at 203-758-4461.

Q: What is a Supplemental Motor Vehicle Tax Bill?

A: Supplemental Motor Vehicle tax bills are issued when a vehicle is purchased after October 1st and before July 31st of the given grand list year. For example if you purchased a vehicle in December, that motor vehicle supplemental tax bill covers the months of December through September of the following year. You will receive the supplemental tax bill for that vehicle the following January.

Q: I have moved. What is my tax jurisdiction for motor vehicle taxes?

A: Your tax town is your town of residency as of October 1st each year. If you moved from Prospect after October 1st but still reside in Connecticut, you will pay Prospect for that October grand list year. If you do not update your registration address for each vehicle at DMV before October 1st you will be billed from the town DMV records show effective each October 1st. Municipalities within Connecticut do not apportion motor vehicle tax bills for part of a tax year. If you registered the vehicle in another state, contact the Assessor’s Office. If you move, you are required to notify the Department of Motor Vehicles of your new address within 48 hours. Be sure that you request a change of address on your driver’s license and on your vehicle registration(s). Forms for this are available online at the DMV web site.

Q: What should I do if I do not receive a tax in July for my motor vehicle?

A: Contact the Tax Collector’s Office as soon as possible. Failure to receive a tax bill does not invalidate the tax or interest due. As owners of property, taxpayers are responsible to know when their taxes are due. Failure to have received a bill does not exempt the taxpayer from payment of all taxes and all interest charges. Interest is charged to all late payments. There are no exceptions to this.

Q: What should I do if I do not receive a personal property tax bill for by business?

A: Contact the Assessor’s Office at 203-758-4461. The reasons for not receiving a tax bill for your business are many. You may not have filed the proper paperwork for your business with the Assessor’s Office.

Q: What happens if I get a tax bill for real estate that I no longer own?

A: Notify the Tax Collector’s office if you receive a tax bill for property that you no longer own. The tax office does not receive transfer of ownership information on the same day it occurs. It may take up to two months for the Tax Office records to update new owner information.

Q: I recently purchased property in Prospect, why did I not receive a tax bill?

A: If you recently purchased property in Prospect and did not receive a bill, please contact the Tax Office immediately.

Q: I just paid off my mortgage and no longer have an escrow account, what should I do?

A: Contact the Tax Office regarding your mortgage payoff and we will forward you a real estate tax bill.